Demonstrate and Explain Renewable Wind Power
Bring wind power into your classroom with the classroom wind turbine kit. A great teaching tool used to demonstrate the basic principles of how electricity can be generated from the wind.
The hands-on wind charger kit is fun and easy to use either in the classroom, using a desk fan, or outdoors. The desk mounted turbine rotates to face into the wind and demonstrates the production of electricity through the attachment of the motor, LED or buzzer units supplied.
Suitable for use in both primary and secondary schools, the wind turbine kit can be assembled in minutes straight out of the box and comes with its own storage case.
A fantastic interactive teaching aid to build on the importance of renewable energy. Ideal for science experiments, the government's 'Sustainable Schools' initiative, EcoSchools awards and Environmental studies.
How It Works Step By Step
- 1 x Wind Turbine plus 6 blades
- 1 x 1.5-6V generator motor
- 5 x gearing options
- 1 x motor module
- 1 x LED module
- 1 x buzzer module
- 1 x dual-purpose ammeter/voltmeter
- 2 x 4mm stackable leads
- Activity sheets
Decide on a suitable surface, take the turbine out of the box and clamp it to the edge. Ensure the surface chosen is not going to be damaged by the clamp.
Attach Turbine Blades
push the shafts into the correct sockets in the hub, angling each blade
at about 45 degrees.
2, 3 and 6 Blades
Decide how many blades you are going to fit to the turbine. The blades must be evenly balanced, or you may damage the turbine, so choose from 2, 3 or 6 blades.
Once the turbine is ready for use, set up a desk fan approximately 50cm away from the wind turbine. Make sure the centre of the fan is level with the centre propeller hub. Alternatively take the kit outdoors to use real wind power!
also possible to adjust the gears of the turbine.
Once the turbine blades have been attached you can add either the motor, LED or buzzer to the system as part of an experiment.
The faster the generator motor rotates, the faster the fan will spin, the brighter the red LED will illuminate and the greater the pitch/volume of the buzzer.
Dual Purpose Ammeter/Voltmeter
The dual purpose ammeter/voltmeter is a great way to measure and monitor the different wind turbine experiments.
Wind Turbine Classroom Experiments
The classroom wind power demonstration kit also comes complete with pupil experimental work sheets. The worksheets have been designed for teachers to use with their pupils to investigate how the turbine works, and then to share and discuss their findings.
- Number of blades: 2,3 or 6 - The voltage can be measured using the dual-purpose ammeter/voltmeter to investigate the effects of adding extra turbine blades.
- Change the blade angle - The blade angles can also be changed to investigate what effect this may have on the system.
- What can the turbine do? - The LED, buzzer and motor can be connected to demonstrate the polarity of the current generated by the wind turbine.
- Change gears - With 5 easy to change gearing options you can investigate speed and voltage depending on the gear selected.
- Indoors/outdoors - Suitable to set up experiments either indoors, using a desk fan, or outdoors using real wind power.